NEWS RELEASEContact: Brenda Baum Communications Manager Office Direct: (330) 786-2519 firstname.lastname@example.org
“EMPLOYEES OF DISTINCTION” REVEALED AT LUNCHEON
42 NOMINEES RECOGNIZED AND 5 AWARDED WITH HIGHEST HONOR
AKRON, Ohio—September 13, 2011— Forty-two outstanding employees from Summit, Portage and Medina Counties were recognized and five individuals were revealed as winners of the “Employee of Distinction Award” at the 10th Annual Employee of Distinction Awards Luncheon hosted by Goodwill Industries on September 7 at Guy’s Party Centre.
Congratulations to the 2011 Employee of Distinction Award Winners:
Jennifer Aubley, Supervisor Bober Markey Fedorovich
Jennifer is dedicated, with a genuine concern and interest in her clients and co-workers. She is vigilant about communicating and following up which results in great client service and contributes to a positive work environment. She also founded and runs the firm’s Professional Development Club (PDC) – a forum for non-management employees to develop “soft” skills in a non-threatening environment.
Amanda Blake, Hair Stylist Gavin Scott Salon & Spa
Amanda’s supervisor states, “There are times when I think she knows more about the bottom line than I do!” She is an integral part of the salon’s community philanthropic activities, helping to raise over $3,000 for various charitable organizations. AND, Amanda also cuts hair for over 30 individuals at Project Homeless Connect.
Andrea Denton, Client’s Rights Coordinator County of Summit ADM Board
Through her leadership, wisdom and energy, the county’s Suicide Prevention Coalition has brought together concerned people to address this most pressing public health problem. With warmth, honesty, optimism and gentle good humor, she is one of our community’s strongest leaders in advocacy for people with mental illness. She embodies the word “inspiration”.
Jim Isom, Network Specialist Child Guidance & Family Solutions
Jim is the “MacGyver” of the organization and many times handles thankless tasks. He knows resources are limited, so he is always looking for cost-saving solutions or the best “deal”, including ways to solve problems using leftover pieces and parts. Jim is easy to work with, good at problem-solving and is willing to learn new things, including stepping outside of his comfort zone.
Jennifer van Dulmen, Managing Attorney Community Legal Aid Services
Volunteers help thousands of clients a year, all thanks to the efforts of Jennifer and her team. She inspires her team, her colleagues and volunteers to do their best through her example and her enthusiasm, sense of humor, intelligence and dedication to our clients. She throws herself into her projects and faces any challenge with creativity, a can-do attitude, and can be counted on to find solutions.
The luncheon is an employee recognition event where stellar employees from Summit, Portage and Medina County employers are recognized for their efforts. Nominations were reviewed based on Quality of Work; Dedication to the Business; and Extraordinary Efforts. Individuals with the highest average rankings received an “Employee of Distinction Award,” and the winners were kept a surprise and revealed at the luncheon.
At the luncheon, emcee and radio personality Ray Horner from 1590 WAKR read highlights from each of the 42 nominees’ nomination forms as they received a certificate commemorating their nomination and two free tickets to a performance at Akron’s historic Civic Theater. In addition, the five winners were given an engraved crystal plaque from Shulan’s Jewelers.
Event Co-Chairs, Jim Bunnell of Austin Tape & Label and Randy Katz of City Scrap & Salvage assisted with the emcee duties by highlighting the selection process of award winners and recognizing the judges, thanking the sponsors and donors, and by introducing the keynote speaker.
The luncheon also featured a keynote address by David A. Brockman CPA, co-founder and Managing Director of BCG & Company, titled “Culture…Is Yours Worth Catching?”
“We are truly inspired by the nominees’ work ethic and dedication. They are all such wonderful role models for their co-workers and all those around them. Goodwill is pleased to once again help local employers showcase their top-performers and their Shining Stars,” said Nancy Ellis McClenaghan, Goodwill President & CEO.
2011 Employee of Distinction Nominees & Award Winners
- Jennifer Aubly, Supervisor Bober Markey Fedorovich**AWARD WINNER**
- Lisa Bain, LPN St. Luke Lutheran Community – Portage Lakes
- Darlene Bonta, Managing Attorney Community Legal Aid Services
- Amanda Blake, Hair Stylist Gavin Scott Salon & Spa**AWARD WINNER**
- Jeff Brinton, Recruiter/Employee Relations Coordinator White Hat Management
- Cathy Byers, Assistant Manager, Fitness Technician Curves, B & S Fitness Quest, LLC
- Darlene Cikity, Office Manager SS&G
- Jill Cleland/Dining Room Manager & Banquet Supervisor Akron Women’s City Club
- Rachelle Conger, Scale Master City Scrap & Salvage Company
- Sandra Costa, Volunteer Legal Services Program, Legal Assistant Community Legal Aid Services
- Michelle Cowley, Manager Intensive Services Child Guidance & Family Solutions
- Jennifer Cyphers, Administrative Assistant BCG & Company
- Andrea Denton, Client’s rights Coordinator ADM Board**AWARD WINNER**
- Melanie Drouin, Membership Development Specialist Girl Scouts of Northeast Ohio
- Octavia Durst, Protective Services Social Worker Summit County Children Services
- Kathron Eubanks, Café Associate West Point Market
- Mike Foore, Director of Maintenance Services White Hat Management
- Cassi Galloway, Outpatient Therapist Child Guidance & Family Solutions
- Jon Graham, Utility Aide Akron General Medical Center
- Kathy Hasner, LPN Staff Development St. Luke Lutheran Community-Portage Lakes
- Tara Hazen, STNA St. Luke Lutheran Community-Portage Lakes
- Sue Hess, Housekeeper St. Luke Lutheran Community-Portage Lakes
- Damian Huising, IT Specialist AtNetPlus, Inc.
- Jim Isom, Network Specialist Child Guidance & Family Solutions**AWARD WINNER**
- Dave Johnson, Maintenance St. Luke Lutheran Community-Portage Lakes
- Candace Kyer, Senior Client Services Associate Fifth Third Bank
- Jonathon Matousek, Executive Chef Akron Women’s City Club
- Lauri Molnar, Bakery & Gift Basket Manager Hattie Larlham
- Gail Norfolk, Human Resources Coordinator Bridgestone Americas Tire Operations LLC
- Zoeann Powell, Administrative Assistant Community Legal Aid Services
- Andrea Reed, Administrative Assistant, Marketing & Volunteer Center United Way of Summit County
- Tara Regan, Director of Development Akron Urban League
- Mary Rowlance, Administrative Assistant InfoCision Management Corporation
- Joyce Sarfo, Utility Aide Akron General Medical Center
- Kelli Schott, Human Resource Benefit Manager White Hat Management
- Tricia Shook, Cook St. Luke Lutheran Community-Portage Lakes
- Kristen Speros, Staffing Coordinator Akron General Medical Center
- David Stephens, Regional Director Diagnostic Services~Radiology, Cardiovascular, Pulmonary, Neurology & Sleep Medicine Services Summa Barberton & Wadsworth Rittman Hospitals
- Jennifer Van Dulmen, Managing Attorney Community Legal Aid Services **AWARD WINNER**
- Dennis West, Client Services Specialist CB Richard Ellis Realty
- Jean White, Portfolio Manager Team Lead Fifth Third Bank
- Peggy Williams, Human Resource Assistant Child Guidance & Family Solutions
About Goodwill Industries
Goodwill Industries of Akron is a not-for-profit corporation that helps individuals prepare for, find, and retain employment. Operating in the five-county region of Summit, Portage, Medina, Ashland, and Richland, the Akron-based agency was established in 1927. It is a private, independent organization, operating as an affiliate member of Goodwill Industries International, and a United Way agency in Summit and Medina Counties. Goodwill helps to directly strengthen the region’s workforce through its employment programs and indirectly through the net proceeds from its retail outlets and contract services division. For more information about Goodwill, visit www.goodwillakron.org or call 800-989-8428. ###