Disability Awareness Merit Badge Training
Provided By Goodwill For Local Scouts
Next Training: April 24, 2021
9am – 10:30am
Register to Attend Virtual Training & Receive Meeting Details
This year training will be held virtually! Class is limited to 100 spots, please register to receive meeting details.
Prior to class, complete the following prerequisites. All visits should be completed while following the State of Ohio COVID-19 safety protocols. In the event a physical visit is not possible scouts are encouraged to conduct site visits virtually via the internet and/or the agency’s web site.
Visit an agency that works with individuals with physical, mental, emotional, or educational disabilities.
Perform TWO of the following activities:
• Talk with a Scout who has a disability and learn about the Scout’s experiences with taking part in Scouting activities and earning different badges.
• Talk with an individual who has a disability and learn about this person’s experiences and the activities in which the person likes to participate.
• Learn how individuals with disabilities take part in a particular sport or recreational activity.
• Learn about independent living aids such as service animals, canes, and augmentative communication devices such as captioned telephone and video phones.
• Plan or participate in an activity that helps others understand what a person with a visible or invisible disability experiences.
Do EITHER option A or option B:
• Option A – Visit TWO of the following locations (school, place of worship, scouting campsite, public place) and take notes about the accessibility to individuals with disabilities.
• Option B – Visit TWO of the following locations (school, place of worship, scouting campsite, public place) and take notes while observing features and methods that are used to accommodate people with invisible disabilities.