My love of repurposing furniture into wine cabinets is no secret. I love the way they look and the fact that a wine cabinet can be used in various rooms in a house. That being said, today’s project is…turning a dresser into a wine cabinet!
My husband had bought me this super cool popcorn machine for my birthday and I had been trying to find a way to work it into my kitchen decor ever since. While trying to figure out what to use, I came across this dresser. The paint colors already matched the room so that made it even easier. The challenge was making it look like a cabinet and not a bedroom dresser.
- I removed the top two drawers for the wine rack area.
- I then removed the bottom section of the drawer to use as the bottom section of the wine shelf.
- Remove the drawer sliders. They are usually located in the middle or on the sides of the furniture. Or sometimes in both areas.
- I then applied antiquing glaze (let dry at least 2 hours) and top coat to the inside walls of the dresser. I Mod Podged material to the bottom to dress it up a little bit.
- Next, I inserted the wine rack. You can find these wine racks in the wares section at Goodwill. I love them–so easy to work with. If you see one buy it, they go fast. I promise you will find somewhere to use it!
Of course after it was done, even though my husband thought I was crazy, I decided that it still looked too much like a dresser with the two drawers.
So, I decided to take out the next drawer down. I repeated the steps for removing the top two drawers. And now I feel it does not look like a dresser in my kitchen!
I’m off to Goodwill to find my next amazing find!
Sirpilla’s Shabby to Chic
Hi, I’m Amy. I love to repurpose, refinish and decorate with thrift store finds. Making something new out of something old is what inspires me! I’m a thrift shop addict who would like to share my DIY projects with you.