Building a wardrobe that consists mostly of thrifted clothing doesn’t happen overnight, it takes several purposeful shopping trips to the thrift store. However, it’s totally possible. This is why I’m launching an exciting series with Goodwill Akron for 2016 called Twelve Months of Thrifting. The purpose of this challenge is to inspire you to thrift and slowly build a wardrobe consisting of essential pieces.
For the sake this post, I counted everything I own and determined that approximately 96% of my wardrobe consists of thrifted clothing. I’ve built this wardrobe of thrifted clothing over the course of several years and by following a few basic tips that I teach and preach over and over in my Thrift Night Out classes:
1) I thrift staples and essentials that can be worn several different ways,
2) I’ve made the thrift store my go-to place for shopping, and
3) I thrift shop with a specific idea in mind.
Start off 2016 with a fresh start and build a thrifted wardrobe of staples that will last for years to come!
Here’s how it works:
- For each month in 2016, use this prompt to shop for specific items at your local thrift store. There’s no spending limit, as long as you thrift the item. Take a screen shot of the graphic and save it on your phone so you can refer to it when you’re shopping.
- I’ll be sharing a post at the beginning of each month on Goodwill Akron’s blog highlighting the featured item and will provide styling and thrifting tips, so be sure to follow along to make the most out of your purchases!
- At the end of each month, I’ll share participant photos. If you are interested in participating, email me your photos to email@example.com by the 29th of each month or tag your photo on Instagram with #12MonthsofThrifting and I’ll grab your photo from there. Be sure to follow @dinasdays and @goodwillakron on Instagram for lots of thriftspiration!
Take it one item at a time. Be very specific and intentional with your shopping. If you need additional thrift tips, you can always contact me with questions or browse through the hundreds of thrift posts on Dina’s Days. If you find yourself becoming more comfortable in the thrift store halfway through the challenge and feel you’re able to knock several things off your list at once, go ahead! Just don’t bite off more than you can chew.
Calculate how much you would have saved by thrifting and put the balance away in a fund. For example, say you would have typically spent $40 on a blazer at the mall, but found an essential staple blazer at Goodwill for $6, put the $34 in a fund and see how much you saved by the end of the challenge.
Now let’s get to thrifting and check back soon for style inspiration for January’s prompt!