Welcome back to the 5th edition of the 12 Months of Thrifting Challenge. If you’re just joining us, this challenge is designed to help you build a home or wardrobe of thrifted essentials, month by month.
Here’s a quick recap of past challenges:
12 Months of Thrifting: Wardrobe Staples
12 Months of Thrifting: The Essentials 2.0
12 Months of Thrifting: Dash of Thrift
12 Months of Thrifting: Kids Edition
This year we’re introducing a new challenge focused on home decor and housewares.
If you didn’t get a chance to participate in prior years, you can still work at your own pace. Simply click on the challenge of your choice, download the schedule and incorporate the prompts into your lifestyle.
Although I’ve focused much of my blogging career on secondhand fashion, I’m also a huge housewares thrifter. Many of my home accessories and gifts come from places like Goodwill Akron. That’s why I’m thrilled to focus on housewares in 2021, especially since many of us are spending more time at home than ever before.
How to join the challenge:
- For each month in 2021, use the schedule to shop for a specific prompt at Goodwill. Already have these items at home? Use what you have.
- Listen to the Dina’s Days podcast, read the blog, or check IG and Facebook each month for styling and thrifting tips.
- Share your finds with us on social using #12MonthsofThrifting
Here’s a quick rundown of this year’s prompts:
- January: Storage Solutions
- February: Vases
- March: Mugs / Glassware
- April: Lamps
- May: Planters
- June: Wall Art
- July: Holiday Decor (Christmas in July)
- August: Furniture / Upcycle
- September: Mirror
- October: Vintage Kitchenware
- November: Something quirky!
- December: Frames
- Use this schedule as an inspirational tool and not as a strict guide
- Don’t feel pressured to buy something you don’t want to buy
- Add these items to a running thrift list and don’t give up because you couldn’t find something right away
- Shop your home if you already own these items
- Explore different ways to decorate with secondhand items (online, borrow, swaps, locally,) but don’t buy something you don’t love
- Relax and have fun
Hope you’ll join us! Happy New Year!