Happy New Year! We’re back with another round of 12 Months of Thrifting. This challenge is designed to help you build a wardrobe of thrifted essentials, month by month.
Let’s take a quick look back at 2016. Last year we selected 12 essential pieces to thrift each month. We shared our best tips on how to hunt for these items at Goodwill and how to style them. In a post on Goodwill’s blog, I shared how much I saved by thrifting these items versus buying them at a regular retail store. Can you guess how much I saved? Head over to the Goodwill blog to find out and to take a stroll down 12 Months of Thrifting lane.
We’ve all been there: a closet full of items with nothing to wear. That’s because most of us fill our closets with “dessert” items and not “meat and potatoes.” The 70/30 meat and potatoes analogy is my favorite fashion analogy. You can read about it here. Dessert items, according to Michael Kors are the fluff items; the sequin dresses I’m always tempted to buy when my lifestyle doesn’t lend itself to a closet full of vintage dresses. The uncomfortable but trendy heels that I never wear. 12 Months of Thrifting features 12 “meat and potato” items that are versatile, easy to wear, and never really go out of style. But the best part is: we thrift them.
Start off 2017 by following these prompts to build a thrifted wardrobe and then close out the year with a closet full of essentials that cost a fraction of what they would have cost at a regular retail store.
Here’s how it works:
- Follow the prompts: For each month in 2017, use this prompt to shop for specific items at your local thrift store. There’s no spending limit, as long as you thrift the item. Take a screen shot of the graphic and save it in your phone so you can refer to it when you’re shopping. Take your time thrifting the item.
- Be inspired: I’ll be sharing a post at the beginning of each month on the blog as well as the Goodwill Akron blog highlighting the featured item and will provide styling and thrifting tips, so be sure to follow along to make the most out of your purchases!
- Share: Help us build a community of thrifters by sharing your photos using the tag #12MonthsofThrifting Be sure to follow @dinasdays and @goodwillakron on Instagram for lots of thriftspiration!
Please note: if your social accounts are private, we can’t see your photos!
- Take it one item at a time. Be very specific and intentional with your shopping. If you find yourself becoming more comfortable in the thrift store halfway through the challenge and feel you’re able to knock several things off your list at once, go ahead! Just don’t bite off more than you can chew.
- If you don’t find it on the first try, go back. Try another store location. You might not find what you’re looking for right away, but don’t give up. The goal here is to familiarize yourself with the thrift store, and one of the most important tips is to remember that in order to be a successful thrifter, you must visit the thrift store often.
- Follow me on Instagram and Snapchat (@dinasdays) because I live snap from the thrift store all the time. You will be able to learn tips live as I’m shopping at the store.
Now let’s get to thrifting!
Facebook: Dina’s Days