GOODWILL INDUSTRIES OF AKRON, OHIO, INC.
570 E.WaterlooRoad • Akron,OH44319 • www.goodwillakron.org
Phone: (330) 724-6995 • (800) 989-8428 • Fax: (330) 786-2504
Contact: Brenda Baum, Communications Manager
Office Direct: (330) 786-2519
“EMPLOYEES OF DISTINCTION” REVEALED AT LUNCHEON”
38 NOMINEES RECOGNIZED AND 5 AWARDED WITH HIGHEST HONOR
AKRON, Ohio—September 12, 2012— Thirty-eight outstanding employees from Summit, Portage and Medina Counties were recognized and five individuals were revealed as winners of the “Employee of Distinction Award” at the 11th Annual Employee of Distinction Awards Luncheon hosted by Goodwill Industries on September 5 at Guy’s Party Centre. According to Event Co-Chairman Randy Katz, the luncheon was “truly the place to be! There was a diverse group of “shining stars” and each had their own story about contributing to their organization’s success by gong above and beyond.”
Congratulations to the 2012 Employee of Distinction Award Winners:
Samantha Buemi, Senior Accountant, Bober Markey Fedorovich
Samantha exemplifies leadership, dedication and teamwork in mentoring others, helping to maintain a quality work environment and supporting her community.
Rodd Coker, VP Business Development & Governance, White Hat Management
Rodd is an amazing person and employee. When they made him, they broke the mold! We know this since he truly represents what the meaning of talent, inspiration and dedication is and gives 100% of himself at all times.
Bernadette Davis, Outreach Associate, Wadsworth Public Library
Bernadette is dedicated to library customers, especially with serving the visually impaired through the library’s outreach services.
Diane Haller, General Manager, Bruegger’s Bagels of Fairlawn
Diane goes above and beyond, creating an atmosphere which attracts, serves, nurtures and retains customers.
Anita Sharp, First Team Case Manager, Child Guidance & Family Solutions
Anita is a zealous advocate for clients and a dynamic role model for assertiveness, optimism and perseverance. Empathetic dedication to clients, and generous with time, talent and treasure in her efforts to meet client need.
The luncheon is an employee recognition event where stellar employees from Summit, Portage and Medina County employers are recognized for their efforts. Nominations were reviewed based on Quality of Work; Dedication to the Business; and Extraordinary Efforts. Individuals with the highest average rankings received an “Employee of Distinction Award,” and the winners were kept a surprise and revealed at the luncheon.
At the luncheon, emcee and radio personality Ray Horner from 1590 WAKR read highlights from each of the 38 nominees’ nomination forms as they received a certificate commemorating their nomination and two free tickets to a performance at Akron’s historic Civic Theater. In addition, the five winners were given an engraved crystal plaque from Shulan’s Jewelers.
The luncheon also featured a keynote address by Ward J. “Tim” Timken, Chairman, Board of Directors, the Timken Company, titled “Stronger Engagement. Stronger Communities. Stronger Together.”
“We are truly inspired by the nominees’ work ethic and dedication. They are all such wonderful role models for their co-workers and all those around them. Goodwill is pleased to once again help local employers showcase their top-performers and their Shining Stars,” said Nancy Ellis McClenaghan, Goodwill President & CEO.
2012 Employee of Distinction Nominees & Award Winners
- Vicki Bartlett, Administrative Assistant, Coventry Local Schools
- Roy Berlocker, Senior Director, Procurement, White Hat Management
- Kevin Bevilacqua, Utility Operator Supervisor, City of Ravenna
- Mary Lou Bolanz, Intake/Employment Counselor, Mature Services, Inc.
- Maureen Brand, Executive Assistant to the President, Chief Academic Officer & VP of New Business Development, White Hat Management
- Shannon Brown, Senior Consultant/IT Coordinator, Child Guidance & Family Solutions
- Samantha Buemi, Senior Accountant, Bober Markey Fedorovich**AWARD WINNER**
- Lisa Buzalka, Deptuy Fiscal Officer/Administrative Assistant, Wadsworth Public Library
- Kerby Calet, Client Computing Analyst, Bridgestone Americas, Inc.
- Melissa Casserman, Finance Associate, United Way of Summit County
- Rodd Coker, VP Business Development & Governance, White Hat Management**AWARD WINNER**
- Jill Conley, Data Analyst, Child Guidance & Family Solutions
- Bridget Crawford, Job Specialist, J.O.G our WAY
- Karla Dancy, Home Health Aide, Visiting Nurse Service and Affiliates
- Bernadette Davis, Outreach Associate, Wadsworth Public Library**AWARD WINNER**
- Brian Deeds, Customer Service/Call Center Coordinator, Mature Services, Inc.
- Denny Dillon, Assistant Street Dept. Superintendent, City of Ravenna
- Chuck Dowdy, Street Dept. Superintendent, City of Ravenna
- Kristin Hafford, Workforce Development Program Manager, Akron Urban League
- Diane Haller, General Manager, Bruegger’s Bagels of Fairlawn**AWARD WINNER**
- Dr. Darlene Hensley, Teacher, Akron Early College High School, Akron Public Schools
- Joe Jackiewicz, Operator, City Scrap & Salvage Co.
- Candace Jones, Assistant Deputy Director For Aged, Blind & Disabled Medicaid, SCDJFS
- David Kaiser, Service Manager, AtNetPlus, Inc.
- Becky Kaminchak, Director, SS&G, Inc.
- Cheryl King, Outpatient Therapist & Supervisor, Child Guidance & Family Solutions
- Jan Maynor, Outpatient Therapist, Child Guidance & Family Solutions
- Jill Mesich, Administrative Assistant, BCG & Company
- Branko Nuss, Client Computing Analyst, Bridgestone Americas, Inc
- Bryan Poorman, Accountant, Child Guidance & Family Solutions
- Misty Rogers, School’s In GED Instructor/Team Leader, Akron Urban League
- Karen Sersic, Financial Center Manager, Fifth Third Bank
- Anita Sharp, First Team Case Manager, Child Guidance & Family Solutions**AWARD WINNER**
- Robert Shaub, Maintenance Technician, Child Guidance & Family Solutions
- Melissa Wagner, Adult Services Librarian, Wadsworth Public Library
- Laura Walker, Director of Vocational Services & Hattie’s Doggie Day Care & Boarding, Hattie Larlham
- Michelle Weed, Care Center Aide, Hospice of Visiting Nurse Service
- Larry Wingert, CYC Corps Member, Akron Urban League
About Goodwill Industries
Goodwill Industries of Akron is a not-for-profit corporation that helps individuals prepare for, find, and retain employment. Operating in the five-county region of Summit, Portage, Medina, Ashland, and Richland, the Akron-based agency was established in 1927. It is a private, independent organization, operating as an affiliate member of Goodwill Industries International, and a United Wayagency in Summitand MedinaCounties. Goodwill helps to directly strengthen the region’s workforce through its employment programs and indirectly through the net proceeds from its retail outlets and contract services division. For more information about Goodwill, visit www.goodwillakron.org or call 800-989-8428. ###