66 HONOREES RECOGNIZED AND 6 AWARDED WITH HIGHEST HONOR
AKRON, Ohio — Sept. 10, 2015 — Goodwill Industries serving Summit, Portage, Medina, Ashland and Richland Counties yesterday recognized 66 outstanding employees in our community at its 14th Annual Employee of Distinction Awards Luncheon. The event provides employers a cost-effective way to publicly recognize outstanding employees. This year 33 area organizations nominated employees for the top honor of receiving the Employee of Distinction Award.
Nominations for the Employee of Distinction Award are reviewed based on quality of work, dedication to the business, and extraordinary efforts with the honor going to the top six individuals with the highest average rankings. Congratulations to the 2015 Employee of Distinction Award Winners:
- John Chandler, housekeeper
Wyant Woods Healthcare Center
John’s passion and pride show in his daily work. He ensures the building is clean enough for his standards; if it isn’t he is right on top of the situation taking ownership of the issue until it is resolved to his satisfaction.
- India Jenkins, financial center manager
Fifth Third Bank
India not only focuses on helping her customers, but she works equally as hard to help her employees, friends, colleagues and community members. Outside of her daily work responsibilities, she also gives a great deal of time to her community to help enrich people’s lives.
- Janice Jones, ITS supervisor
Community Support Services, Inc.
Janice has initiated the growth of the ITS department. She has assisted in the addition of individual and group counseling, cognitive enhancement therapy, and expressive arts therapy. She has shown throughout her years at the agency the human side of leadership when working with others.
- Colleen Lozano, client relationship specialist
BCG & Company
Colleen has created raving fans of BCG & Company’s clients. She is always cheerful and goes above and beyond her duties to make sure clients have an easy and positive transaction with the firm.
- William (Liam) Murray, head gardener, Hattie’s Gardens
Liam is always thinking of new ideas, suggesting new growing techniques, and can always answer any agriculture question, or has the resource to find the answer. He is quiet, yet kind, and will do whatever is needed to help the organization.
- Candace Talty, SSI benefits CRS
Community Support Services, Inc.
Candace consistently demonstrates a commitment to the clients served by the organization. She seeks to provide them with the necessary supports to function in the community. She has excellent attention to detail as well as being a strong advocate.
“We were impressed by all the honorees,” stated Event Co-chairs Mary Ann Roach, Bridgestone Americas Tire Operations, and Maureen Van Duser, community volunteer leader, both in Akron. “It truly was a diverse group of shining stars and each had their own story about contributing to their organization’s success by going above and beyond.”
During the event, all honorees received a certificate commemorating their nomination and two free tickets to a performance at the historic Akron Civic Theatre. In addition, the top six winners were given an engraved crystal plaque from Shulan’s Fairlawn Jewelers.
“We are truly inspired by the honorees,” said Nancy Ellis McClenaghan president & CEO, Goodwill Industries serving Summit, Portage, Medina, Ashland and Richland Counties. “They are role models and Goodwill is pleased to help local employers showcase their top-performers and shining stars.”
2015 Employee of Distinction Honorees & Award Winners
- Akron Metropolitan Housing Authority Van Buren Homes Team
- Shannon Cornell, lead property manager
- Patti Dorn, management aid
- Nicole Higgins, early childhood initiative service coordinator
- Javin Morgan, assistant property manager
- Phoebe Skipper, family service coordinator
- Schonda (Monique) Andrus, state tested nursing assistant, Wyant Woods Healthcare Center
- Sherri Ashby, recovery specialist, Community Support Services, Inc.
- Sarah Bailey, director of education and resident director, Weathervane Playhouse
- Tammy Bigler, project director, Mature Services, Inc.
- Bober Markey Fedorovich Core Recruitment Team
- Jennifer Elsass, audit senior manager
- Barbie Johnson, HR assistant
- Nathan Leib, tax senior accountant
- Dana Mountjoy, audit supervisor
- Jessica Tepus, tax manager
- Justin Zuchowski, audit senior
- Pam Brown, HR Specialist, Western Reserve Hospital
- Stacy Cavey, LPCC, sr. early childhood mental health consultant, TAPS Program, Child Guidance & Family Solutions
- John Chandler, housekeeper, Wyant Woods Healthcare Center*Winner
- Alyse Clark, teacher, STEM High School, The Akron Public Schools
- Marcy Cohen, community rehabilitation specialist, Community Support Services, Inc.
- Sara Cool, LPCC-S, outpatient therapist, Child Guidance & Family Solutions
- Kathy Cyphert, comptroller and HR manager, Braun & Steidl Architects
- Russell Dietz, bagger, ACME Fresh Market
- Julia Dimatteo, benefits and volunteer coordinator, Western Reserve Hospital
- James Francis, metal sorter, City Scrap & Salvage
- Theda Grant, home health aide, Mature Services, Inc.
- Barb Gray, financial coordinator, Bridgestone Americas
- Roger Hicks, unit manager – Beacon 360, Wyant Woods Healthcare Center
- Heidi Imhoff, food services program manager, Taste Buds, Catering by United Disability Services
- Mary Jo Jamerson, office manager/facilities manager, WAKR/WONE/WQMX/WNWV Radio
- India Jenkins, financial center manager, Fifth Third Bank*Winner
- Janice Jones, ITS supervisor, Community Support Services, Inc.*Winner
- Lisa Keeley, sr. HR generalist, Unity Health Network
- Christina Knight, SWA, admissions specialist, Child Guidance & Family Solutions
- Sam Kousagan, regional employment representative, Mature Services, Inc.
- Derrill Larch, intake case manager, Mature Services, Inc.
- Colleen Lozano, client relationship specialist, BCG & Company*Winner
- Laura Mann, manager of case management and prevention services, Greenleaf Family Center
- Andra Marshall, housing placement clerk, Akron Metropolitan Housing Authority
- Jennifer Miller, manager, compensation, HRMS & benefits, Western Reserve Hospital
- Maggie Mosley, state tested nursing assistant, Rockynol Retirement Community
- William (Liam) Murray, head gardener, Hattie’s Gardens, Hattie Larlham*Winner
- Bonnie O’Donnell, administrative assistant, BDO USA, LLP
- Theresa Ogonek, accounting manager, Mature Services, Inc.
- Jamie Pastorius, LISW-S, protective services supervisor, Summit County Children Services
- Shirley Perry, receptionist, United Disability Services
- Jimmy Raines, accredited business consultant, Better Business Bureau of Akron
- Rockynol Retirement Community Culinary Team
- Andrew Jackson, assistant culinary director
- Carlisa Shoates, CNS supervisor
- Brian West, culinary director
- Carla Wyatt, CNS supervisor
- Chad Alan Rooks, human resources generalist, ACRT, Inc.
- Jessica Scharf, compliance manager, Jobs for Ohio’s Graduates
- Emily Smith, court liaison, Community Support Services, Inc.
- Theresa Stafford, executive assistant, InfoCision Management Corporation
- Candace Talty, SSI benefits CRS, Community Support Services, Inc.*Winner
- Cindy Tesmer, senior staffing manager, Superior Staffing, Inc.
- Rebecca Thompson, performance improvement specialist, Community Support Services, Inc.
- Stacy Timm, program director, Hattie Larlham
- John Trembly, IT infrastructure architect, Bridgestone Americas
- Connie Trenta, controller and bond manager, Amer Insurance
- Janine Trowbridge, community support specialist, Easter Seals of Northern Ohio
- Gloria Vincent, delivered meal specialist, Mature Services, Inc.
- Deborah Wasch, deputy clerk of court, Diana Stevenson, Barberton Clerk of Courts
- Lydia Wolf, social worker, Jewish Family Service
- John Yurkschatt, director of IT services, Direct Consulting Associates
For more information on the Employee of Distinction Luncheon or to be added to the mailing list for next year, contact Greg Morton at 330-786-2528 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Goodwill Industries Serving Summit, Portage, Medina, Ashland & Richland Counties
The Goodwill Industries of Akron, Ohio, Inc., is a not-for-profit corporation that helps individuals prepare for, find and retain employment. Operating in the five-county region of Summit, Portage, Medina, Ashland & Richland, the agency was established in 1927. It is a private, independent organization, operating as an affiliate member of Goodwill Industries International. Goodwill helps to directly strengthen the region’s workforce through its employment programs and indirectly through the net proceeds from its retail outlets and industrial services division. For more information about GIA, visit www.goodwillakron.org or call 800-989-8428.