AKRON, Ohio — March 24, 2021 — Goodwill serving Summit, Portage, Medina, Ashland and Richland Counties held its 94th Annual Meeting virtually on March 24, 2021, to elect board members and honor program champions.
“We are very grateful for the support of our board of directors, team members and the community during this last year,” said Nancy Ellis McClenaghan, president & CEO, Goodwill Industries serving Summit, Portage, Medina, Ashland and Richland Counties. “Our meeting celebrated the hope we had during a year like no other and the future opportunities from receiving the largest grant in our 94-year history-$5 million from philanthropist MacKenzie Scott. 2021’s planned expenditures for the grant will be more tactical to support currently identified service access and transportation support needs. In the next eight months, the agency will also better investigate all the ideas that many community agencies so generously shared with it during the first quarter of this year. The key areas that arose in those discussions were related to filling a resource navigator void, addressing transportation barriers and bridging the digital divide. We look forward to continued dialogue with fellow service providers as we finalize detailed plans for using the bulk of Ms. Scott’s amazing gift to benefit our communities during 2022-2025.”
Celebration of Champion Honorees
- Noelle Akins, LPC – Avaap
- Daniel C. Buser, Esq. CPCU – Crain, Langner & Co
- Chip Clupper, MBA, SHRM-SCP – Human Resources Dept., Summit County Executive Ilene Shapiro
- Joseph Manolas, CPA – Meaden & Moore, Ltd.
- Marc Servodio, CFP®, AIF® – Prosperity Advisors
- Jeff Stevenson – Campbell Construction, Inc.
Directors Elected for First Three-Year Term
- Douglas Klein, CPA, EA – BDO
- Diane Smith – Multi-Color Corporation
- Charles A. Zonfa, MD, MBA – SummaCare
- Angela M. Neeley, MBA, METRO Regional Transit Authority
2021-2022 Honorary Directors
- Dr. Raj Aggarwal, CFA, – retired, University of Akron
- Becky Babcox (1951 – 2012) – retired, Babcox Publications
- Parker Berry II, CIC – Seibert-Keck Insurance
- Richard B. Bromley, Sr. (1935 – 2021) – retired, United Airlines
- James Bunnell – Austin Tape & Label
- Dr. Pleas R. Chambers III – principal educator, AMP’s Specialized Marketing Group, LLC
- Terrence Dalton – retired, Community Support Services
- Joseph P. Doman Jr. – UBS Financial
- William Glaeser – retired, Northeastern Educational Television of Ohio, Inc.
- Dorothy O. Jackson – retired, City of Akron
- Margaret D. Jordan, J.D., M.S. – Sikich, LLP
- Randy S. Katz – retired, City Scrap & Salvage
- Danielle J. Kimmell, CPA – Apple Growth Partners
- Dr. Mary Beth Kluge – retired, Akron Public Schools
- Karen C. Lefton, Esq. – The Lefton Group, LLC
- Lisa Mandel – community volunteer leader
- Thom Mandel – Rubber City Radio Group
- Dan Marchetta, Sr. (1929 – 2015) – retired, Marchetta Construction Company
- Gregory McDermott – retired, FirstMerit
- Jackie McDermott – retired, Alcatel-Lucent
- James E. Merklin, CPA, CFE – Bober Markey Fedorovich
- Julie Merklin – community volunteer leader
- Cynthia K. Misheff – community volunteer leader, retired educator
- Donald T. Misheff – retired, Ernst & Young
- Shelby D. Morgan – W3 Wealth Management, LLC
- C. Allen Nichols – Akron Bar Association
- Gary L. Rickel – CBRE
- Charles Schreckenberger, FAIA – Braun & Steidl Architects, PRIME AE Group, Inc.
- Kim Schreckenberger – retired, Akron Public Schools
- Cherie Morris Shechter – community volunteer leader
- Steven B. Shechter – Insurance Witness Consulting, The Business Brain Trust, RWS Business Services Companies
- Beth Sherwood – community volunteer leader
- George K. Sherwood – retired, B.F. Goodrich Corporation
- John L. Shulan – Shulan’s Jewelers
- Jill Hinig Skapin – retired, County of Summit | Ilene Shapiro, Executive
- Stephen L. Strayer – PNC Bank
- Rev. Kevin D. Strickland, Sr. – The Church on the Hill
- Michael A. Sweeney, Esq. – Brouse McDowell
- Barry E. Thoman, CPA – Meaden & Moore, Ltd.
- Russell Vernon – retired, West Point Market
- Jerry Welty – retired, Welty Building Company
- Mark Whitlam – J.C. Whitlam Manufacturing Co.
- Steve D. Wilt – CAPTRUST Financial Advisors
About Goodwill Industries Serving Summit, Portage, Medina, Ashland & Richland Counties
The Goodwill Industries of Akron, Ohio, Inc., is a not-for-profit corporation that helps individuals prepare for, find, and retain employment. Operating in the five-county region of Summit, Portage, Medina, Ashland & Richland, the agency was established in 1927. It is a private, independent organization, operating as an affiliate member of Goodwill Industries International. Goodwill helps to directly strengthen the region’s workforce through its employment programs and indirectly through the net proceeds from its retail outlets and Business Services division. For more information about GIA, visit www.goodwillakron.org or call 800-989-8428.
Contact: Jennifer Bako