AKRON, Ohio — March 23, 2023 — Goodwill serving Summit, Portage, Medina, Ashland and Richland Counties held its 96th Annual Meeting virtually on March 22, 2023, to elect board members and honor program champions.
“We are very grateful for the support of our board of directors, team members and the community this past year,” said Nancy Ellis McClenaghan, president & CEO, Goodwill Industries serving Summit, Portage, Medina, Ashland and Richland Counties. “Our 96th Annual Meeting celebrated 2022 service numbers and showcased the successes of our inspirational Celebration of Champions honorees. Further, key accomplishments achieved by our social enterprises were highlighted as were our plans for using the remaining funds granted to us by philanthropist MacKenzie Scott at the end of 2020. Using these funds, the agency expects to help permanently decrease transportation barriers in our five-county area by setting up a revolving loan fund for those unable to purchase or repair a vehicle by any other means.”
Celebration of Champion Honorees
Gary Donnor and the Richland County Citizen’s Circle
Lion Ann Miller and the Ashland Evening Lions
• Abdullah Alkhulaiwi, Partner, Senior Security Consultant, Kimmell Cybersecurity
• Amanda Barna, Principal, Center for Marketing and Opinion Research (CMOR)
• David Bucci, Consultant, PathSight Predictive Science
• Brad Gilbo, Store Manager #1351, Dick’s Sporting Goods
• Kimberly Huff, Community Relations Representative, Synthomer Foundation
• Julie Katz, Owner, The Extra Daughter, LLC
• Steve Kirkland, VP, Operational Excellence, Voyant Beauty
• Steve Swann, Partner Transaction Advisory Services, Bober, Markey Fedorovich
• Hattie Tracy, President and CEO, Coleman Health Services
Directors Elected for First Three-Year Term
• Mekal Banyasz, Research, Grants & Evaluation Manager, Criminal Justice Coordinating Center of Excellence, Department of Psychiatry, Northeast Ohio Medical University
• Chrissy Myers, CEO, Associated Underwriters Insurance
• Kevin Thompson, Controller, Hernandez Construction Services, Inc.
2023-2024 Honorary Directors
• Dr. Raj Aggarwal, CFA – Sullivan Professor of International, Business and Finance, Emeritus, University of Akron
• Becky Babcox (1951-2012) – Retired, Babcox Publications
• Parker Berry II, CIC – Executive Vice President, Seibert-Keck Insurance
• James Bunnell – Retired, Austin Tape & Label
• S. Theresa Carter, President, Synthomer Foundation
• Dr. Pleas R. Chambers, III – Principal Educator, AMP’s Specialized Marketing Group, LLC
• Terrance Dalton – Retired, Community Support Services
• Joseph P. Doman, Jr. – First Vice President, UBS Financial
• William Glaeser – Retired, Northeastern Educational Television of Ohio, Inc.
• Dorothy O. Jackson (1933-2021) – Retired, City of Akron
• Randy S. Katz – Retired, City Scrap & Salvage
• Margaret D. Jordan, J.D. M.S.- Director of Business Development, Kiko Company
• Danielle J. Kimmell, CPA- Principal, Apple Growth Partners
• Dr. Mary Beth Kluge (1936-2022) – Retired, Akron Public Schools
• Karen C. Lefton, Esq. – Principal, The Lefton Group, LLC
• Doug Lefton – Retired, Fairlawn Family Practice
• Lisa Mandel – Community Volunteer Leader
• Thom Mandel – Owner, Rubber City Radio Group
• Dan Marchetta, Sr. (1929-2015) – Retired, Marchetta Construction Company
• Gregory McDermott – Retired, FirstMerit
• Jackie McDermott – Retired, E-Learning Program Manager, Alcatel-Lucent University
• James E. Merklin, CPA, CFE – Partner, Bober, Markey, Fedorovich
• Julie Merklin – Community Volunteer Leader
• Cynthia K. Misheff – Community Volunteer Leader, Retired Educator
• Donald T. Misheff – Retired, Ernst & Young
• Shelby D. Morgan – Principal, W3 Financial Group
• Angela M. Neeley, MBA- Director of Finance, METRO Regional Transit Authority
• C. Allen Nichols – Executive Director, Akron Bar Association
• Gary Rickel, – Retired, CBRE
• Charles Schreckenberger – Principal, Braun & Steidl Architects, PRIME AE Group, Inc.
• Kim Schreckenberger- Retired, Akron Public Schools
• Cherie Morris Shechter – Community Volunteer Leader
• Steven B. Shechter – Insurance Witness Consulting, The Business Brain Trust, RWS Business Services Companies
• Beth Sherwood – Community Volunteer Leader
• George Sherwood (1939-2023) – Retired, Vice President, B. F. Goodrich
• John Shulan – President, Shulan’s Fairlawn Jewelers
• Jill Hinig Skapin – Retired, County of Summit | Ilene Shapiro, Executive
• Stephen L. Strayer – Senior Vice President, Director Institutional Investments, PNC Bank
• Michael A. Sweeney – Of Counsel, Brouse McDowell
• Barry E. Thoman, CPA – Vice President, Meaden & Moore, Ltd.
• Russell Vernon – Retired, West Point Market
• Jerry Welty – Retired, Welty Building Company
• Mark Whitlam – Vice President, J.C. Whitlam Manufacturing Co.
• Stephen D. Wilt – Senior Vice President, Financial Advisor, CAPTRUST Financial Advisors
Thank you to the following sponsors supporting our 2022 events.
Platinum: Synthomer Foundation; Gold: PNC Financial Services; Sonya & Tom Presper; Silver: Britton Gallagher; Eric & Nan McClenaghan; and W3 Financial Group; Bronze: Bober Markey Fedorovich; Brennan, Manna & Diamond; Marc Servodio, CFP®, AIF® – Vita Advisors, LLC; Diamond Patron: David & Kathleen Bucci; Dr. Pleas R. Chambers III; Chuck & Debbie Ducey; Bill & Mary Glaeser; William & Susan Hanlon; Danielle Kimmell; and Charles & Leslie Zonfa; Gold Patron: Parker Berry II; Chip Clupper; Laura Judge; and Diane & Derek Smith; Media: akronlife and WAKR/WONE/WQMX/WNWV.
About Goodwill Industries Serving Summit, Portage, Medina, Ashland & Richland Counties
The Goodwill Industries of Akron, Ohio, Inc., is a not-for-profit corporation that helps individuals prepare for, find, and retain employment. Operating in the five-county region of Summit, Portage, Medina, Ashland & Richland, the agency was established in 1927. It is a private, independent organization, operating as an affiliate member of Goodwill Industries International. Goodwill helps to directly strengthen the region’s workforce through its employment programs and indirectly through the net proceeds from its retail outlets and Business Services division. For more information about GIA, visit www.goodwillakron.org or call 800-989-8428.
Contact: JoLene Gordon